Thursday, May 21, 2015

Adventure, Just Not As Expected



Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one.  Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 2 Corinthians 11:24-27

Though I really know nothing about the severity of the trials that Paul went through, his words continue to resonate with me. These last few years, actually when I think of it all my years as a Christian, have seemed like one painful trial after another. There was spiritual warfare, depression, marital strife, church turmoil, spiritual doubts, loss of friendships, miscarriages, hysterectomy, loss of a mother, loss of a job, children struggling with their faith, pain from moving, more pain from moving, and more pain from moving. And through it all so many questions for God and his will for our family. 

When God moved us to Florida, I imagined He had big plans for us. He called us here with a mission and we are a family that thrives on mission. We came here purpose driven and ready to change the world.   

Little did I know that what He really had in store for us was healing and rest. 

When I came to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ, even though a door was opened for me in the Lord, my spirit was not at rest because I did not find my brother Titus there. So I took leave of them and went on to Macedonia.
But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. 2 Corinthians 2:12-16

We came here to preach the gospel and God preached the gospel to us. He healed us (especially me) in almost every facet of my being; spiritually, emotionally, and physically. We were never quite as rest with what we thought we were supposed to be doing here. (I missed my sisters) And now it's time to go home. 

But we are leaving so different than when we came. God used so many amazing people to love and heal us, to show us His love and the beauty of His church in action. He caused me to lean in to Him in a way I had never done before. He healed so much pain that I left with and brings me back as a person who deeply understands His grace, love, provision, and purpose. 

I do pray that our family loves more than ever, cares more than ever, and rests more than ever. 

Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ. 2 Corinthians 2:17

Yet, we continue to grow until we see Him again. 


2 comments:

Christina said...

I'm so glad God brought to Florida. He used you to preach the gospel to me. Will miss you terribly! Christina

Jennifer R said...

Praise God! He is so good to us and He knows what we need, even when we don't know that we need it. I can't wait to hear the details of this story and see what He has for you.